The average online shopping experience is missing something.
Of course, it’s quick and convenient, it can be done from anywhere at any time, and there’s usually a bigger selection than you’d find in a physical store. But it’s typically impersonal.
If a shopper has questions, if they need help finding something—even if they leave without making a purchase at all, there’s no one to help out or take action. The experience is missing that “something extra” to make following through with a purchase a no-brainer—a delight, even. It lacks conversation, connection, and personal attention.
Ecommerce merchants: If improving your store’s shopping experience in this area is on your wish-list this holiday season, we’ve got some glad tidings for you! A chatbot is the all-in-one tool that can help you do it, so you can maximize conversions and minimize online shopping-cart abandonment.
A bot can engage shoppers at every step of the journey, guiding them all the way to conversion. Use it to attract, interact with, and bring back prospects, and you’ll be providing that missing piece of the online shopping experience. Bring conversation back to commerce with a chatbot, and watch your revenue start to climb.
#1. Attract new prospects to your store with a bot
If you’re like most ecommerce merchants, you already use Facebook to get new shoppers to your store. Add a Messenger bot to the mix, and you can make those efforts much more effective.
Think of it this way. If you’re only linking and directing people to your store website, you’re leaving them to browse on their own. But if you have your bot chat with them first, it can provide an engaging, personalized shopping experience that’s more likely to result in a conversion.
There are a few key ways to bring new prospects to your bot for this purpose:
- Acquire new bot users from comments. This feature will give you the chance to turn people who comment on your Facebook page posts into customers. Choose a post for this feature to apply to, or set it for all posts. Then decide if you want your bot to reach out to everyone who comments, or only those who use a key phrase. Once set up, your bot will send a message to the commenters that fit your parameters, kicking off the guided shopping experience we’ll cover in the next section.
- Run click-to-Messenger ads. Set up your Facebook ads to direct users to your bot in Messenger first, instead of taking them straight to your website. That way, it can prime and prepare them to find what they need in your store and then send them there to shop, increasing the odds of conversion.
- Use the customer chat plugin. You can even reach out to store visitors once they’re on your site. This plugin allows you to embed your bot on your store website in just a few clicks. That way, it can pop up and offer help or even discounts to get users to engage. Once they do, it can lead them through the shopping process all the way to checkout.
There are extra bonuses to using any of these three methods, too:
- Your bot automatically has access to the information from a user’s Facebook profile. It can gather more details about them by asking questions and saving the responses as attributes, too. You can learn more about your customers with this data. Plus, you can export it to Facebook and use it to create custom and Lookalike ad audiences to reach more users like them.
- Once a user responds to a message from your bot, they become a reachable subscriber. That means your bot will be able to contact them again in the future via Sponsored Messages to reengage, build trust and loyalty, and get them to buy again.
#2. Use a bot to interact with shoppers in a meaningful way
After you attract prospects to Messenger, it’s your bot’s time to shine. As we hinted at in the last section, a chatbot can essentially walk users through what they need to know about your brand, offer help, recommend products, and answer questions. Once the bot has provided this guidance, it can send the user through to your website: excited, informed, and ready to make a purchase.
Specifically, a chatbot can:
- Welcome the user by name
- Quiz them on their preferences in order to offer personalized product recommendations
- Fetch product information from your website, so it can provide up-to-date information when a user asks
- Upsell and cross-sell based on products the user shows interest in
- Answer FAQs, so you’ll never lose out on a conversion because a prospect couldn’t find information about shipping, payment, etc.
- Offer promotions and discounts to entice hesitant customers to buy
A bot can provide this type of attentive, customized service 24/7. As a result, you’ll be set up for maximum conversions because:
- It will create an engaging experience and a memorable impression of your brand in the user’s mind
- It’ll help remove most obstacles to purchase that a user may have been facing, like questions, confusion about a product, or uncertainty about which item is right for them.
See how other ecommerce merchants do it
Just imagine how many more conversions you’ll earn with your bot guiding the user through the purchase process. Better yet: Learn about the success other ecommerce business-owners have had with their Chatfuel bots.
📱This online electronics retailer boosted Messenger sales by 10% with their bot.
🥗 This meal-kit subscription service got 64% of users who commented on one of their posts to make a purchase with the coupon code their bot sent.
🍼This baby-furniture brand now gets 80% of their online sales from their Messenger bot.
Try trigger-based bot interactions
Another effective option for this stage is to add a trigger-based chatbot to your store—one that lives only on your website instead of being connected to Facebook Messenger. Tools like Gobot let you set a simple chatbot to appear on your store site when a shopper takes a certain action.
For example, if the visitor:
- opens or closes their online cart at your store—when they’re most at risk for cart abandonment—the bot can immediately appear and offer help or a discount.
- spends a lot of time on one page, Gobot can ask if the user has a question, and instantly search a knowledge base you upload to return a helpful answer.
- views several products but doesn’t add any to their cart, the bot can pop up with a discount that’s only valid for a short window of time.
- views an item that’s out of stock, it can appear and ask for their email address, so you can reach them when it’s in stock again.
All these trigger-based actions are designed to move prospects along the funnel if they get stuck, and incentivize them to buy at just the right time.
Whichever tool you use, engaging shoppers before and during their shopping experience on your site is key to maximizing conversions. Use a Chatfuel Messenger bot or a website-type like Gobot to guide users towards the finish line: a completed checkout page. 😍 💸
#3. Bring prospects back with messages from your bot
It’s true: Providing an engaging, guided shopping experience with a bot can dramatically increase your conversions.
But even the best experience won’t get 100% of your website visitors to convert on the first try. It’s a natural part of online shopping: Not every person who visits your store is ready to purchase then and there.
That being said, a Chatfuel Messenger bot can help you recover a significant portion of those who intended to purchase, but lost interest or got distracted. It can even use discounts to incentivize those who were on the fence due to the price of an item.
It’s the final step in shopping-cart conversion optimization with a bot: bring back prospects who were on the brink of buying, and get them to follow through.
In fact, you can recover up to 7x more abandoned-cart revenue with a Chatfuel bot—and the setup can be done in minutes. All you have to do is add our brand-new Cart Reminders app for Shopify to your Chatfuel bot. It’s the newest addition to our suite of ecommerce chatbot tools for Pro users, and it has the potential to be a game-changer for your store’s bottom line.
How Chatfuel’s Cart Reminders app works
It’s a simple but powerful process. Here’s how Chatfuel’s Cart Reminders app brings users back to complete their purchases.
Note that the very first step in this process is key. It’s crucial to make the opt-in that appears on your website enticing, so it will get users to connect with your brand on Messenger.
Because from there, your Facebook Messenger chatbot can do the rest. It’ll then be able to tell if the user abandons their cart, and will reach out with your custom reminders if they do. Customers get the product they wanted, and your shopping-cart conversion rate increases. Everybody wins!
Why this app is so effective
You may already deliver cart reminders via email. Send them via Messenger bot as well, and you’ll win more conversions than ever.
Content from a Messenger bot has 80% open rates on average, plus click-through rates of 35%. Facebook Messenger is a medium your business simply can’t ignore if you want to minimize cart abandonment and maximize sales.
Plus, the conversational style of your friendly Messenger chatbot can make all the difference. Cart-abandonment reminders via email are typically one-way communications from a NOREPLY email address, telling the shopper to buy. From a Messenger bot, though, they initiate a two-way conversation designed to help the user find the right item for them.
Instead of, Hey, come back and buy this, the message becomes Hey, I wanted to make sure you found what you were looking for. Did you need any help? It shows that your brand’s top priority is customer satisfaction, not just making another sale.
How to set up the Cart Reminders app
There are only three steps in setting up reminders about abandoned carts via chatbot, and they’ll take you just a few minutes to complete! Follow these simple instructions:
- Connect your Shopify store. Go to the Grow tab in your bot dashboard and find Cart Reminders for Shopify. Enter the URL of your Shopify store and click Connect.
- Design the opt-in message. Users have to agree before they can be contacted by your bot, so it’s important to make your opt-in website pop-up engaging. Including some type of enticing offer usually works well.
- Create the reminders. Last, you’ll have to design the reminders your bot will send to users who abandon their carts. You can have as many as five, and you can customize the layout, content, and delay for each. You can even add extra options to help remove barriers to purchase. 👉 For example, you could add a block that directs the user to FAQs or a live chat with a human agent. That way, they can quickly resolve any questions or doubts that may be holding them back from purchase. Or, your second or third follow-up message could include a limited-time coupon code to get the shopper to act now.
That’s it! Once you’re done, go back to the Grow tab to check the stats. You’ll be able to see how many people received your reminders, the click rates for each, and how much abandoned-cart revenue the app has helped you recover so far.
Use data and feedback to bring back even more shoppers
Most every aspect of sales and marketing involves constant testing and tweaking so you can continuously improve. Chatbots are no different! Chatfuel offers tools to help you gather data about your bot’s performance so you can make it even more effective:
- A/B Testing plugin. With this feature, you can easily test the performance of two different welcome messages, two CTAs, or two versions of most any other aspect of your chatbot. See which one performs better, then adjust your bot accordingly.
- Inline stats. Use this Pro feature to see how users are interacting with different blocks in your bot at a glance. It’ll show how many subscribers have viewed each block, and how many clicked an element in that block. Pinpoint where there are bottlenecks or drop-offs and make changes to improve.
Gobot, the Shopify app we mentioned in section #2, works great for this too. This website-based bot can easily collect visitor feedback by engaging them in easy conversation. It’s a great way for you to uncover pain points in the checkout process, or at any other step. Find out what users like and don’t like, and make changes so the shopping experience at your store is the best it can be.
Attract → Interact → Bring Back →💰😍
To get the most online shopping-cart conversions for your store, you’ve got to engage with visitors every step of the way. To do this effectively and at scale, chatbots are the answer!
Sign up for Chatfuel for free today, and start building a Messenger bot to increase your ecommerce store’s conversions. No coding knowledge or special skills required! To learn more about Gobot, the trigger-based website chatbot, visit their page.